You will need
· Small head of healthy cabbage, ideally hard Winter variety
· Natural crystal salt
· One larger glass jar, well washed and sterilised with hot water
· One smaller sterilised jar, which just fits into the large one
· A large bowl
· Remove several outer leaves and the core.
· Slice very thinly using knife, mandolin or shredder.
· Place the first layer (2-3 handfuls) into the bowl, salt the top generously.
· Repeat until all the cabbage is used.
· Cover with clean napkin and leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
· Mix everything and keep pressing with your fists to release the juices.
· Fill the larger jar, keep pressing the cabbage well, do not leave any air pockets!
· Fill the smaller jar with water and push inside, cover with clean cloth or plastic.
· Leave to stand in cooler, dark place. Not too cold! About 16C, bottom kitchen cabinet if your house is not overheated.
· Check every odd day to make sure all the cabbage is well-covered with brine.
· Ready to eat from day 5 but ideally after 3 weeks, as you will get different strains of bacteria.
· After 3 weeks keep in the fridge.
Bubbles will appear after few days...
Feel free to experiment with other veggies!